Adsense

Monday 12 October 2015

Featured Item. Gold Bead Brooch



This week the featured item is the Gold Bead Brooch which I made with welding wire.
These brooches from my shop Fashion Magpie Jewellery are great to make when you have some beads left over from a project but there is not enough to make anything else.
There made by bending some copper welding wire into a shape you like then, doing some loops through the centre of the shape, before winding the end of the wire around its self to secure. To prevent the end scratching sometimes it can be necessary to file the end a bit.


Next I use tiger wire, in this case gold, to wind around and through the shape adding beads as I go. There doesn't have to be any rhyme or rhythm to the design just let your imagination take hold. I find it's easier if you don't over load each branch of beads with to many because they can begin to bulge upwards and make the design look too fussy. It also looks good to mix up the beads size and textures, like this brooch which has gold coloured filigree, 4mm faux pearls and pearlescent tear drop beads.
Where the tiger wire meets the copper wire I have wound the tiger wire around 2 or 3 times before continuing with the next length. This method helps to stop the tiger wire slipping around the copper and makes everything more rigid.


When I am happy with the design I use the tiger wire to secure the brooch back to the copper wire by just winding the wire through the holes on the brooch back fastening until it doesn't move as much any more.
These brooches never fail to get positive feedback when there worn.

To buy this Gold Bead Brooch it is £6.00 with £1.95 UK postage and packaging. I also do international postage.


You can find Fashion Magpie Jewellery at the below links




Fashion Magpie Jewellery Blog is a celebration of antique and handcrafted jewellery, with regular featured items from my shop, antique jewellery showcase, interviews, reviews and tutorials.


To be the first to hear the latest news from Fashion Magpie Jewellery blog you can find me on FacebookTwitterPinterest and Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment