Adsense

Thursday 13 November 2014

Throwback Thursday. The Darnley/ Lennox Jewel

Whilst researching for topics for my Thursday Throwback posts I came across an amazingly detailed jewel called the Darnley or sometimes Lennox Jewel, which is held in the British Royal families collection at Holyrood house in Edinburgh. It immediately had my attention and I had to feature it on one of my posts. Not only is it beautiful it is full of symbolism and hidden messages.

  Although there is lots of speculation about when the piece was made, it is thought to have been commissioned by lady Margaret Douglas, Countess of Lennox.
Some of the meaning behind the detail on the piece have been lost over time.
It is a heart shape locket, 6.6 X 5.2cm and depicts a number of designs in great detail with gold, rubies, emeralds, and glass cabochon. It's thought that the front refers to Lady Margaret and her husbands life together and to the back is their ambitions for their grandson James. 
James would later go on to become James VI of Scotland and unite England as James I.
I found a video which shows brilliantly what all the detail means. It's presented by the BBCs Fiona Bruce and shows everything you would want to know about the piece.
Here is a QR code for the video.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment