Adsense

Monday 14 September 2015

Featured Item. Purple Leaf Necklace


The featured item this week for Fashion Magpie Jewellery is one I very nearly kept for myself. I named it the Purple Leaf Necklace.
The necklace was designed with bohemian in mind, I went with the trend for seventies long pendant style necklaces.
My favourite part of the necklace is the leaf. I love doing this technique with jewel enamel, although it can be quite messy. I used a leaf charm with a dot pattern to it so the jewel enamel has something to bond onto. I've found through experience with this technique that the rougher the surface of the charm the better it works. Smooth finishes just flake back off because the jewel enamel has nothing to hold.
I got the idea from a book about enamelling my dad brought me for Christmas last year.

 
To make it first I placed the charm on a non stick baking sheet and heat it up slightly with a heat gun, then I put very small amounts of jewel enamel onto the charm. Just enough that I can't see the metal anymore.
Next holding the heat gun high up I slowly bring it closer to the charm, if you go to fast or start to close, it just blows the jewel enamel everywhere! As you bring the heat gun down you'll start to see the jewel enamel transform from its powder base into a liquid and melt onto the charm.
When it had all fully melted  I turned off the heat gun and used a tooth pick to gentle move the charm to another area on the sheet to cool down. 
For the leaf in this necklace I used a mix of pink sapphire, amethyst, deep gold and purple sapphire.
To add to the bohemian theme of this necklace I found a filigree and painted in the purple with amethyst Vintaj patina ink. The colour perfectly compliments the shades of purple in the leaf.
I fastened the two pieces together with jump rings and added the chain. The necklace measures 20 inches long.


 The Purple Leaf Necklace is £12.95 and £3.20 UK postage and packaging.
 
You can find Fashion Magpie Jewellery at the below links




Fashion Magpie Jewellery Blog is a celebration of antique and handcrafted jewellery, with regular featured items from my shop, antique jewellery showcase, interviews, reviews and tutorials.


To be the first to hear the latest news from Fashion Magpie Jewellery blog you can find me on FacebookTwitterPinterest and Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment