Adsense

Friday 19 September 2014

Folksy Friday. The best of Scottish crafts

This weeks Folksy Friday is some of the best Scottish themed items on folksy.
I live only a few miles from the Scottish border and have been loads of times, it's a beautiful place and I'd love to see more of it. The country side is stunning and the cities are so rich with culture and history.
Here is my list of the best items.
This little guy is a red squirrel carved from wood and by andeezartinwood. I choose him because I know that Kielder forest, which lays over the border with England and Scotland, is a haven for these beautiful creatures and protects them from the grey squirrel population. For information on the Red squirrels near you click here.
 
Something I'm very fond of from Scotland is Harris Tweed. My day job actually involves me selling this to people so I maybe a bit bias. The piece I picked from folksy is this A5 Harris Tweed journal. The colours of Harris Tweed are always inspired by the colours of Harris island, this piece shows the sky blue and the moss tones of the earth. On the back it has the official Harris Tweed label sewn on to leather which shows this is a real Harris product. It's made by Beauty Bound Books who also do this in other tweed colours.
 
 
My next piece is by a jewellery designer on folksy who is based in Scotland. There called ARC Jewellery and I picked this piece because I think everyone at some point hopes they have a guardian angel looking out for them and I love the simplicity of it with just the stirling silver and brass outline of the figure.
 
One thing you can go see in Scotland on the Isle of Mull is the deer's. Autumnwatch on BBC nearly always feature these deer's on their program and I bet it's an awesome sight when you see two of the stags facing off to fight during the yearly rut. My folksy item I picked is a slightly more sedate affair though. I picked this bag by Bees and Blossum called Oh Deer, I like the contrast between the two fabrics, this piece also comes in a brown tone as well.


There's a farm near to where I live called the Highland Cattle Centre I used to love to see these magnificent beasts out in the fields. There quite a sight to behold with their long ginger hair and horns they look like your typical drawing of a Viking but unlike the Vikings their very friendly!
This print is by Babs Pease Designs and is called Limited Edition Print of Highland Cows.

So there you have it some of the best of Scotland on Folksy, of course there's loads more pieces for you to discover on Folksy this is just what I've chosen.
All the pieces have a blue link if you'd like to go over to folksy and see them there.


All rights and copyrights are reversed to the individual crafts people.

No comments:

Post a Comment