Adsense

Friday 22 August 2014

Throwback Thursday. A quick guide to Celtic jewellery.


First today I'd like to say thank you to all those who are making my Thursday throwback posts a success. I'm really enjoying researching and writing about these subjects so it's lovely to see your also enjoying reading them.
This week is the turn of the Celts. I first became interested in the designs of the Celtic period when I was little and I'd go to stay at my gran's place. She had a series of books all about mythology and ledge sd, these books where beautiful adorned with the strong colours and intricate patterns of Celtic design. They captured my imagination and I'd love to draw my finger over them trying to follow the patterns like the picture above.
The celts date back to around 2000 years ago and originated in mid Europe, travelling north. Not a lot is known about their beliefs or knowledge because they communicated verbally instead of writing it down. However we can surmise that jewellery meant a lot to them, we have lots of archeological finds which show us there brilliant craftsmanship.
After 450AD the Christians adopted this way of design into there manuscripts, a great example of this is the lindisfarne gospels. Something I'd love to go see someday.
The designs are made of lots of different patterns the main ones being Celtic cross', motif animals, spirals and knots. 
Closer to our own time Celtic design inspired some of the art Nouveau period designs. I've recently discovered a jewellery designer from this time called Archibald Knox, who I will definitely need to look in to more. His designs are really beautiful

Below is my own take on a Celtic design, I've used tiny heart beads with a Celtic knot in the middle. These beads are some of my favourite beads I've brought



No comments:

Post a Comment